Friday, December 16, 2011

Cone 6 Porcelain
50   Grolleg Kaolin
20   Silica 325 mesh
20   G-200 feldspar
4     Talc
1     Veegum T 
5     Wollastonite
Add:
2     Frit 3134
2     Betonite

Adsorption:  0%
Shrinkage:  12.5%
Slumping:  moderate

If you want an even greater degree of whiteness and translucency, New Zealand Halloysite (aka kaolin) can be substituted for some or all of the Grolleg.

I definitely recommend doing small test batches to see if these recipes will work for you, they may need to be adjusted.


Notes on materials:

Bentonite:  Western 325 mesh

Wollastonite:  Needs to be sieved, or you will have lumps in your clay, I use 60 mesh.

Veegum T or macaloid:  Always add it to the water first, I find it necessary to slowly sift it into the water.


Mixing:

I mix the clay into a slip to get everything evenly distributed, and soaked well.
I add all of the fluxes to the water first (unless using veegum), mixing well to disperse them, a small amount of clay from the recipe can be used to help prevent settling if necessary. Then add clays, the bentonite is dry mixed with another clay before adding.


I hope this helps those interested in cone six porcelains, and those who enjoy experimenting.

2 comments:

  1. Are you adding any Darvan or Sodium Silicate to this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi missy,
    I developed these recipes for hand building and the wheel, so I don't use deflocculants like Davan.

    ReplyDelete